Wednesday 25 January 2012

Melted Plastic Bags




At collage last year I was lucky enough to attend an artist's work shop at the Whitworth Gallery, and spent the day manipulating and melting plastics. Using a variety of techniques and highlighting areas with paints I was able to produce a wide range of textures, patterns and outcomes. I enjoyed using this technique and thought it a very cost effective material!


This led me to try and recreate some of the surfaces I have recorded so far and spent a day playing with layering plastics, using different types and applying heat differently to understand the material and learn the extent of what can be produced through this method. 


Holding the samples up to the window added more levels and created a deeper image I feel is really successful. I will consider using light boxes or displaying the pieces in windows/doors if i continue the development of this technique further.




The bubble wrap produced a particularly interesting texture when layered randomly and heated for a longer time.
I am happy with the samples produced and enjoy this technique a lot, if I can gain access to a sewing machine I would like to further layer the samples and produce thick block to put on a light box. 



I found Carolyn Saxby's blog informative and helpful with these experiments as she reuses and recycles common materials such as plastic bags, using a high level of skill she presents them in a professional way.


http://carolynsaxby.blogspot.com/search/label/Plastic

No comments:

Post a Comment